• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I don't sound like a dipshit when I call the guy in charge of the truck pull, I got some questions on the rules that may be obvious to yall but I'm new so idk lol

For the weight, you just have to be under the class # right? A guy I was talkin to said his uncle (yeah one of them hear-say things) said you gotta be within 50 lbs of the class #. That doesn't sound right to me.

26" hitch is the MAX height right? and it needs to be a clevis? I think thats what all of em said they used last weekend.

For my drive shaft being secure, I just need to run a chain from frame rail to frame rail under the shaft right? Front and back or just back? and how loose/tight does it need to be?

It says stock turbo (which I have), Suspension travel (also have), and no weight brackets.... I dont have weight brackets, but do you think they'll say anything about my big ass brushguard? It weighs around 200 lbs.

Thanks in advance y'all.

Guest Goose

Ok, so I don't sound like a dipshit when I call the guy in charge of the truck pull, I got some questions on the rules that may be obvious to yall but I'm new so idk lol

For the weight, you just have to be under the class # right? A guy I was talkin to said his uncle (yeah one of them hear-say things) said you gotta be within 50 lbs of the class #. That doesn't sound right to me.

26" hitch is the MAX height right? and it needs to be a clevis? I think thats what all of em said they used last weekend.

For my drive shaft being secure, I just need to run a chain from frame rail to frame rail under the shaft right? Front and back or just back? and how loose/tight does it need to be?

It says stock turbo (which I have), Suspension travel (also have), and no weight brackets.... I dont have weight brackets, but do you think they'll say anything about my big ass brushguard? It weighs around 200 lbs.

Thanks in advance y'all.

You have to be under 8000lbs or whatever the number is. Clevis style hitch yes. If you plan on pulling a lot here is a good hitch http://pullingproducts.com/

For the drive shaft loops a chain will work. You dont want the chain on the drive shaft, but you will want it close. Both shaft would be best, but they are more so likely just talking about the rear.

You will be fine with the brushgaurd. As long as you are under 8k

Guest Chvyrkr

As long as it's a 1" clevis with a 3 1/2" ID you should be fine for your first hook.

I'd find something else to use after that if you're gonna keep doin it though.

ok, few last minute questions. typin with busted knuckles too so excuse me lol.

My hitch only sits about 20" off the ground with the most raise I can get, will that be alright? and the clevis we found is only 7/8th's with a 3 1/2 hole. will that be sufficient for one go? I plan on building a bmf hitch for this.

Also, my truck with me in it is 7670#. Should I throw some tires in the back to add a couple hundred lbs? whats the normal thing to do?

Also, what is common courtesy/ whatever regarding passengers? Everybody and their brother is wanting to ride along with me, but I don't want to be a douche and have a bunch of people in my truck. I really don't want anyone with me the first time I pull, but I may make exceptions.

oh and a gasser buddy of mine is wanting to pull to, should his technique be the same as mine should? I.e. put in 4 low and drive, floor it, when its in high revs in first slide the selector into second and ride it out? he's in a 98 f150 with a 5.4 if it matters.

Well here's what I did...

As far as the hitch height, it was 18" and almost perfect. If I had stiffer springs and would have actually got some lift on the sled from having a higher hitch, I would have. but with the way it was, I literally drug the sled. It was awesome. The 7/8" clevis was sufficient, but I plan on buying a 1" when I've got the opportunity.

As far as weight, we just ended up throwing random chains and steel ramps in the back. We were allowed up to 1003 over, and after we had everything we could stick in there I sat at 8065#. Might try to perfect that art.

I didn't have a rider this time, but on all the future ones that allow it, I have one lined up to be my right hand woman.

Now as for the pull...

It was a stupid long wait. The 16000# tractors finished up 15 minutes after I parked there. Then we had a half hour intermission I was uninformed of. Then the 6200# open gassers pulled (which my friend didn't pull in because they we're HIGHLY modded), then we sat for another 15 minutes for no apparent reason. Then I got to pull...

It pulled great. No hop, no jerk, great trans and throttle response. Actually my truck seems happier since the pull lol. I *should* have up shifted later (I slid from D to 2nd at 3k rpms), and I should have downshifted near the end. My wheels just ended up stopping turning. I pulled 256.73 ft, which was good enough for 4th out of 5 ( I lost to 3 24v's, one VP and 2 CR, and beat one CR 24v) and only 4 ft from 3rd, 20 ft from first. There was a questionable call though. The truck that took 3rd from me by 4 ft was allowed a repull after going 86 ft. I thought the limit was 75 before it counts, but I wasn't sure. I didn't really care, I had a blast lol.

On a side note, Fords were REALLY outnumbered. There were only 2 1/2 there. one in the gasser class (with 7 chevys and a gmc), one in the work stock class (me against 4 cummins), and half of one in the modded class (a fummins lol, with 2 cummins and a d-max). This thing was REALLY lax though, they didn't enforce their own rules, I.e. exhaust location (one cummins had a hood stack) and stock-ness (they never looked under our hoods)

All in all, I had a blast. I'M HOOKED! :D

I've got one, but we have to get it off the disk. and I'm freakin slammed for being at the track for 12 hours, so it will *hopefully* be up tomorrow. on here... and the org.... and fb... lol

Guest Goose

On a side note, Fords were REALLY outnumbered.

Get used to that. There aren't that many people that pull with a HEUI engine.

Im glad you had fun. Told you that you would be hooked!

I dont know why. I mean with weak injectors and an old HPOP I pulled right up there with newer CR engines. With some minor mods and better driving I should out pull them.

Guest Goose

Setup is key. A properly setup 400hp truck can beat a poorly setup 600hp truck. Your low hitch height probably helped you.

Who's tunes are you running?

Setup is key. A properly setup 400hp truck can beat a poorly setup 600hp truck. Your low hitch height probably helped you.

Who's tunes are you running?

Lol yeah, about that....

I'm running a hypertech power programmer III. Came with the truck. I'd love to have a chip with custom tunes... and gauges, and injectors, and an HPOP.... the list goes on and on lol

congratulations,your screwed now. Truck pulling is a wicked disease that you have contracted. Be ready to eat sleep and breath truck pulling like the rest of us.

I'm completely ok with that... its kind of weird. I moved on from one hundred yard sport to another hundred yard sport. Now I've just got a bigger object to move the length of the field :lol:

I've never heard anything bad about them. And until I've got the time and $$$ to go get live tuned, it might be what I stick with. But when I *do* start looking to get live tuned, I plan on headin to Swamps.