Sign in to follow this  
delinquent

Cost of Pulling

I was just wondering what everybodys opinion was on how much money has to be invested to be competitive in each individiual class. I'm not talking about winning a Brush Pull either. I'm talking about placing 5th or better at the Big Events liks SDX, TS, Fass Indy, Platte City etc.

So whats the word guys?

Work Stock???

2.6???

3.0???

Unlimited???

Guest Chvyrkr

Well, an LBZ with a few fuel mods and a stock turbo is pretty hard to beat. So is a 6.4 ford with deletes and tunes.

A couple grand for drivetrain mods, DIY style and either truck would he right up there with less than 5 in the engine.

I'd guess between 5 and 10 total for WS, depending on platform.

2.6 is a 15 to 20k class these days, no matter the platform. Probably more if you started with a weak platform.

And I doubt there's a 3.0 truck out there with less than 20k in it, not to mention, that class is usually open driveline. So there's quite a bit of money in drivetrain to hold the power.

Unlimited, you better be sponsored by several shops, and have some deep pockets. I think 50k is probably not unheard of.

And as with anything, the more you can do yourself the less you'll spend to get were you need to be.

Not really, I am amazed at the money being spent in the 2.6 class especially. I know of trucks, with 60 grand under the hood. It blows my mind. I honestly would love to build a 3.0 truck. I have enough parts to get off to a really good start. I would have a engine for the truck, and an identical one ready in the shop if something happened. Just put the pump and charger on the spare and go.

I was doing some figuring:

-Dodge Truck Rolling Chassis can be had for $2500 or less

-Drop Box and Reverser/Clutch/Can-I'm thinking I could spend $5000 or less

-Ditch the Eighty for a Rockwell-Probably could break even-$0

-Upgrage the front end with locker and axles/gears-$1000

-Upgrade the Driveshafts, honestly a guess-$750

-I would have probably $2000 in the engine parts i need, I have alot, but I would need a cam, pistons and a few other things.

-Hx60 Used but freshened from a Super Farm Tractor can be had for $1500 (these are the cats behind, and the truck pulling community just realized it)

-Pump is Undecided, I like Columbus and Hartz, but either way $4500 for pump, injectors and lines.

That gets us to 17,250. But the time you add all the extras, we'll call it $20,000.

I know this would be a strong truck, not a nation wide challenger by no means but...I don't see how people have 60k or more, and there out there, I have proof, in there engine.

Opinions>>>?????

Guest Goose

Oh boy. I better quit while I'm ahead. It is crazy what some people have in their trucks and half those guys have pretty stout tow rigs as well.

Prices would greatly depend on what you know, who you know and if you do all your own work.

I think $20,000 would get you a very competitive rig. If you are doing everything yourself.

I do all the work myself, aside from block prep work.

The thing about it is, I'd rather build my own truck as to buy someone elses. If you don't mind buying someone elses, there are some great deals to be had. I think Tyrone Taylor let his 2.6/2.8 truck for around 17k. And it was a bad ride!

Also look at BigBadDodge, a 100k for that truck was a bargain. I know of a 2.6 truck with 100k under the hood and told him, for that money you could have BBD and the damn trailer. LOL at some people

Guest Chvyrkr

Yeah I agree. My prices were from a DIY standpoint mostly.

And alot of people hire all their stuff out.

Didn't realize 2.6 was gettin as bad as all that though.

Now, I will say that I've got close to 15 in mine right now, and I'll probably have another 20 in it before the end of the year.

But, some of that is gonna be because some things have had to be done twice. To do it all right the first time would probably only have me a little over 20, but I've had this truck 8 years. Quite a bit to be learned in that timeframe.

I'm always milling some idea in my head about acquiring a pulling truck, I would buy a used puller, if it was just a puller. I don't have it in me to drop that kind of change on my primary vehicle. Maybe that's age though.