Sign in to follow this  
kapnhook

bbc solid roller lifters,what brand?

yeah i just bought jesel shaft rockers,but real confused on the lifters,they all seem to have the same specs as far as materials but prices from 300 for howards to 1000 for isky redzones?

Guest Leadfoot

I've blown a couple of different Comp Cams solid roller lifters apart (usually the needles get pound out) even with a rev kit to keep them seated on the face of the cam.  Been running the redzones and no failures yet.  They are expensive, but so is replacing the cam when a lifter takes a lobe out (not to mention tear down to check for debris).

The comps have held up good for me .800 lift cam 35 runs at 8300-8500 rpm still had plenty of life left but I changed them when I refreshed motor

Guest Leadfoot

The comps have held up good for me .800 lift cam 35 runs at 8300-8500 rpm still had plenty of life left but I changed them when I refreshed motor

I did some research at the time of my failures.  It seems a higher number of "street" motors saw failures vs. competition motors.  Two engine builders I talked to had issues and both steered me away from them.  My engine builder decided on the RedZones as he had issues in his own truck with Comp solid rollers.  This was a few years back, so things may have changed (did leave a bad taste in my mouth after wiping two cams).

Taken from Comps website: 

COMP Cams® recognizes the high cost of new parts and designed the Endure-X™

Lifter Rebuild Program to help offset some of that cost

The roller assembly is often the culprit in roller lifter failure The lifter body

can be buffed and the link bars replaced as necessary However, the roller

bearings and axle usually need to be replaced after each season of use or

after any catastrophic engine failure A sudden lack of motion is even more

destructive than the sudden application of motion

The older lifters I guess were even worse and they are currently suggesting yearly replacements.  I inspect my RedZones yearly and have not seen any signs of looseness (although they will rebuild them if I do).  This season will be season 5 (I may send them out after the season for piece of mind). 

Had comp lifters fail and wipe cam twice. I run Isky 904 lifters now no issues on multiple years of use.last set had 50 hooks and still good. Comp lifters lost needles in roller every time and  would mushroom out and eat cam lobe sides.

Guest Leadfoot

Had comp lifters fail and wipe cam twice. I run Isky 904 lifters now no issues on multiple years of use.last set had 50 hooks and still good. Comp lifters lost needles in roller every time and would mushroom out and eat cam lobe sides.

That's a good way of describing my failures.

The 904s is the diameter. Bigger than stock 875. Crowers are very good and affordable. I have used comp but I do not make enough power to hurt them. If you turning big R `s. I would buy the better lifters. Just my. 02$ but I am no engine builder.

morels and have over 50 dyno pulls and 200 hooks on them in my pulling motor

my 67 nova has crower with hippo option and has over 11,000 street miles and still going.