Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leadfoot

Are there aluminum heads equivalent to ported cast iron OEM's

Guest Leadfoot

Years ago (talking 80's/90's) aluminum heads were looked at as exotic and expensive.  Nowadays, finding good cast iron OEM's with power potential is getting tougher and more expensive.  Combined with the fact (other than the Cummins) that you cannot buy a new truck (gas or diesel) without aluminum heads, cast iron heads are going to become rarer and more expensive.

Obviously many aftermarket aluminum heads were designed with improvements over their iron predicessors, but I'm wondering if there are "carbon copies" or fairly close aluminum heads available.  Basically if you took a proven cast iron OEM head and ported it to the max, is there an aluminum head (when also ported to the max) that other than the material and weight would be identical?  No raised ports, no non-OEM valve angles etc.  Basically an aluminum head that has a similar overall power potential to an OEM head.

I know there is some debate as to the actual material being better (possibility of reduced detonation, etc), but I'm talking flow numbers only.

We are looking to allow aluminum heads (due to ease of fixing and growing popularity) in our cheater stock class without opening Pandora's box.  The class is currently limited to OEM production cast iron heads (unless you run a newer gen motor with stock aluminum heads).

The overall idea is to have 2 or 3 aluminum head part numbers for each of the big 3 platforms (GM, Ford, Dodge).  This allows a guy building a motor or who drops a valve in an iron head, the ability to run aluminum without creating a notable increase in overall power (which would force everyone to change).

Are there such animals out there?

gm offers a copy of the factory l88 aluminum head. im pretty sure most head mfg offer a factory style alum head. they are req in some drag racing classes. but I am not sure of the part numbers.

Guest Leadfoot

Mighty, I agree.  The problem is, we don't want Big Chiefs when others still have OEM iron.  There has to be aluminum alternatives without going "full bore"....

Live in the present, but keep HP and $$ semi-sane as it's not a Mod puller.

almost all (conventional alum heads are like that) mighty the diff is almost all of them have raised ex ports. wich don't make that much of a diff in power.

chevy has good OEM aluminum heads but it takes a group that is willing to work togather to keep it under control .One member that thinks he can spend the $$$ to win will spoil it.

There is a guy in Wisconsin who went to Reher-Morrison with a 477 BBC. OEM iron heads. The heads alone cost $10000. The engine is well north of 900 hp and spins well north of 9000 rpm. My point is , no matter what the rules, people will spend the money to get where they want to be.

Aluminum heads end up in the long run cheaper it costs less to do port work and is easier to weld the aluminum if a oh shit happens but buy ones that have been cnc ported most of the work is already done

Aluminum heads end up in the long run cheaper it costs less to do port work and is easier to weld the aluminum if a oh shit happens but buy ones that have been cnc ported most of the work is already done

bingo