CrazyDave

Difference in 1/2 ton to 1 ton 73-87 Chevy Frame

Is there a difference in these frames?

I am starting back on a 4wd build and have heard different things

Thanks in advance

Guest DieselMinded

Heard these things:

- Mostly thickness and some other small things.

- The frame rail under the cab is around 3 inches taller, the rear springs are tighter to the frame rails and springs themselves are longer.., the rear shocks are inside the frame rails...the front came with 3 springs factory...

i run a half ton frame, i prefer the flex and it helps it hook with my slightly shorter wheelbase.  havent had and issues with bending or cracking for over 5 years now.    front is stiffened for weight box but thats bout it.  keep in mind im pretty stripped and pull a drawbar.  if your reese style like my old stock truck i prefer the heavier one ton frame to keep ridgid.  work stock with no front weights and a factory hitch, rear does most of the pulling with less than half the help of the front.  keeping it stiffer helps keep front down at the same time helping transfer better weight to the rear to hook!

steering, depends on what way you wanna go.   factory is just that, semi hydro with a gear box or full hydro with cyl?

I have all 3 to choose from

How do you guys set up the steering?

I run a crossover steering setup in my 80 K20 (I too prefer the 3/4 ton frame to a 1 ton), paired with a custom hydraulic assist setup (it's a "Redneck Ram" cylinder from West Texas Offroad, paired with streeing box parts from DIY4X for the ports instead of drilling/tapping the box, and local hydraulic shop hoses).  Works good turning 35" rubber with a welded front and locked rear.  Before I put the 496 in I ran it on the street with my old 454 and it worked great (I did notice it being a little slower, but nothing major).