Sign in to follow this  
getblown5.9

One Piece at a Time

Rather than clutter up the general 2.6/2.8 truck picture thread with a bunch of my pics and videos every week, I'll have a single thread for me to post in that you can read about how the pulling season is going, and what upgrades are being done to the truck.

One Piece at a Time is a 2002 truck that I bought used with 40k miles on it in 2004. It slowly started getting mods as I had money. By 2006 I wanted to pull, but never could, every time I was going to try, something prevented me. Bad U-joints, carrier bearing, transmission problem, clutch problem, then last was the blown headgasket. Fast forward to spring 2007 and I was ready to pull. It was still a vp44 pump daily driver that would make a 300 mile trip to the hunting cabin without breaking a sweat at 540hp.

Here is my first pull EVER with the truck...

I was HOOKED...I continued on that season with some success. I won my first pull in front of a crowd of about 4-5,000 people and it was only the 4th time I hooked to a sled.

I ran through the 07 and 08 seasons with a vp44 pump and was very successful with it, but I got bored, I wanted more, wanted to step up, and needed to stay at the top with everyone else who was building.

Here is one of the best pulls I made with the vp44 pump during the 08 season.

Before that season was over, I was already gathering parts for the p-pump swap. and February of 2009 I had the motor stripped down to a block and head waiting on new injection system, new turbo, camshaft etc. After 4 weeks in my buddy's garage waiting on parts, it was time to start it with the new heart and lung...a 215 pump off a 97 12v that was built by Columbus Diesel and set for 550cc's, and an S465 turbo hanging on a tubular style header.

First start

It made 631hp on the dyno with no tuning done to it yet, and would fuel hard to 5k rpms.

Then a few weeks later it made its first voyage down the track with the new found power and RPM.

Fast forward to now, I have had a good season with 1 win and a whole bunch of top 10 finishes, but had soem bad luck with a broken camshaft, and some bad runs where I bounced and never made it down the track. Its only taken til August but I think I got it running good again, as last weekend I made 4 hooks on the truck, and the last one being a pull off against a 900hp+ truck that only got me by a foot, and it felt or sounded better than it has all season. I am excited to see how things go.

First Pull Saturday Night

Pull Off

Yea one more Sept. 11th.

This weekend I'll be about 60-70 miles south of Meyersdale in Romney, WV but I'll be floating on the river, drinking beer, and hanging with the family.

Thanks, thats why I post so many videos and pictures, I'm proud that I've built it myself with the help of a few friends, and lots of research and info from various forums. This truck has never been dropped off at a shop with a check for work to be done. I am a firm believer in the Built not Bought idea...and there is nothing I like more than beating someone with a big name/big dollar truck and they can't even tell you what parts are in it.

Be nice to see you pull on some good tracks, for the most part it looks like most of the tracks you're running on suck something fierce! With that being said, it's still a damn nice truck, good job with it man!