Sign in to follow this  
nyuk

Hey Leadfoot

Guest Leadfoot

Knocking on wood, no issues yet.

Going with more Cubes/HP this year and will be running DOT's at some events and 31" Cepeks at others so we will see....

Guest Leadfoot

Still going strong......"Knocking on Wood", but I didn't get the 496 in or run the Cepek's this year. Definitely next as the motor is almost done (waiting on the shaft mounted rocker assembly).

Still going strong......"Knocking on Wood", but I didn't get the 496 in or run the Cepek's this year. Definitely next as the motor is almost done (waiting on the shaft mounted rocker assembly).

where did you get your planetary set for the 400? have you had any issues with it?

Guest Leadfoot

where did you get your planetary set for the 400? have you had any issues with it?

http://www.mikestransmission.com/catalogsite400parts.html

Issues (Yes and No).

When I got the unit I was impressed with the machining and hard parts, but the quality (or lack thereof) of the welds left a lot to be desired. I decided to have the unit spun balanced (crank balancer) and found it was SEVERELY out of balance. My buddy said it would have likely caused a ton of issues considering the RPM's it spins. Ended up removed a ton of material to balance it (I wish I could find the pictures I had, it was pretty amazing). I have not had any problems with it, and I'm hoping (knocking on wood) that some of failures people have experienced with them are from the fact they weren't tested for balance (I guess time will tell).

Guest Leadfoot

I'm currently running a 496 which Dyno'd 666HP and 597Ft/Lbs with cast iron OEM heads (ported of course), aluminum air gap intake, and Holley 830 HP carb (outflowed my Proform race 850).  I could get more power out of it but I'm limited to OEM iron head and 850 carb (carbs are flowed and compared to two prepped 850 Holleys to help keep guys honest).

The shaft has held up, so have the 3:1 planetaries turning some pretty big RPM but I have not put the Cepeks on yet.  I probably just jinxed myself, but thought I would give you guys some more feedback.

Edit:  I just saw the price for custom planetaries on the link I provided earlier.......WOW. I'm glad I bought them when I did.