MPac

Rollin' Coal

I want to make it so I can roll coal on my 2006 Cummins. I put a K&N filter on it and it smokes more when I get on it but I'm looking for a way to make it smoke more. I don't want to have to buy anything to do it. Its all stock expect for the filter and I don't have the money for a tuner.

You'll probably "roll more coal" with the factory air box on it.

I'm a voulenteer fire fighter and when I respond to a call and floor it from a stand still it drops the black smoke big time. I've gotten asked before if its got a chip. I know on Gen 1 trucks you can just turn up the pump. Could something like that be done on this truck? Or is it not possible?

Guest Goose

I want to make it so I can roll coal on my 2006 Cummins. I put a K&N filter on it and it smokes more when I get on it but I'm looking for a way to make it smoke more. I don't want to have to buy anything to do it. Its all stock expect for the filter and I don't have the money for a tuner.

Why are you wanting your truck to do this?

black smoke = unburned fuel = pointless = wasted potential horsepower

Ok let me refraze this then. How can I get some more horsepower out of it by just tinkering and not having to buy any parts?

Guest Chvyrkr

Ain't much you can do on a CR by tinkering. To much is controlled by the ECM.

Exhaust will help a little once you do start flowing more fuel though.

Guest Goose

What all is done to the truck right now? You can't really make it anymore powerful without having to buy parts.

Ok let me refraze this then. How can I get some more horsepower out of it by just tinkering and not having to buy any parts?

Without buying parts? Nothing.

Biggest bang for your buck though, ....Tuning. It's all in the ECM, so tune it. It's cheap horsepower. But, understand one thing, you do something on one end, you generally need to compensate on another, and it's a never ending game. If you're going to be cheap about it, do some mild tuning, and leave it. Otherwise If you just want some cheap go fast goodies, (which are out there) you're going to regret it in the end. These things are engineered to a certain set of spec's. When you go screwing with that in 100hp increments without correct compensation, things stop working together in smooth fashion and it leads to FUBAR.

Without buying parts? Nothing.

Biggest bang for your buck though, ....Tuning. It's all in the ECM, so tune it. It's cheap horsepower. But, understand one thing, you do something on one end, you generally need to compensate on another, and it's a never ending game. If you're going to be cheap about it, do some mild tuning, and leave it. Otherwise If you just want some cheap go fast goodies, (which are out there) you're going to regret it in the end. These things are engineered to a certain set of spec's. When you go screwing with that in 100hp increments without correct compensation, things stop working together in smooth fashion and it leads to FUBAR.

The most I could spend would be 500 dollars. What would be the most efficant thing to buy?

Guest Goose

The most I could spend would be 500 dollars. What would be the most efficant thing to buy?

Let us rephrase your original question. It shouldn't be "How can I make it smoke?" it should be based on the goals you have for the truck.

So I ask the question; What are the goals/goal for your truck? Daily driver, trailer hauler, Sled puller, drag racing or all of the above?

Guest Chvyrkr

Let us rephrase your original question. It shouldn't be "How can I make it smoke?" it should be based on the goals you have for the truck.

So I ask the question; What are the goals/goal for your truck? Daily driver, trailer hauler, Sled puller, drag racing or all of the above?

What he said ^^^^

Its a daily driver. It pulls a 4 horse gooseneck trailer to.

Well more or less 99% of the guys on here are pullers we/they do mods that help us on the track try posting that here

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-cr-bombs-aftermarket/

it will get alot more visibility there as far as parts go look here that will give you a price on the CR mods

http://www.bbdieselperformance.com/Cummins-24V-03-07-c12/

Brice

Should have bought a 1st or 2nd gen, and if yo pull so big trailers and don't have a lot of money put an intake exhaust and tuner then leave it. Most of the guys you see in magazines with commonrails with 700 or 800hp that are actuially used are either wall street yuppies or trusfund babies.

Guest Goose

Should have bought a 1st or 2nd gen, and if yo pull so big trailers and don't have a lot of money put an intake exhaust and tuner then leave it. Most of the guys you see in magazines with commonrails with 700 or 800hp that are actuially used are either wall street yuppies or trusfund babies.

Really?

If you only got $500, buy an intake kit and make sure you got a 4" exhaust. Mine is 4" from the factory (its an 06) and I chopped off the cat and muffler myself. Then save your cash for a Smarty S06 (around $700) and save some more for the transmission upgrades YOU WILL HAVE TO DO. The tranny is the weak link on any dodge (I got three) and it will fry at much more than 400-450 hp. Not a cheap sport to be in, but the most fun is building it yourself. Good luck!