Sign in to follow this  
MPac

Transfer case help

I have a NP203 in my truck. I'm not for sure if I'm supposed to pull in 4 Low or 4 Low Lock. I leaning towards lock. What do you guys suggest?

Guest Chvyrkr

Is it the truck in your sig?

I'm guessin the 60 was stock rear, and it'll have a D44 front?

I'd expect those tires to be fine on the rear, unless you're creating some really serious wheelspeed, but you're runnin the ragged edge with that much tire on a D44.

Is it the truck in your sig?

I'm guessin the 60 was stock rear, and it'll have a D44 front?

I'd expect those tires to be fine on the rear, unless you're creating some really serious wheelspeed, but you're runnin the ragged edge with that much tire on a D44.

Yes its the truck in the sig. And yes dana 60 and 44 from what I understand is the guy before me beefed up the diffs. Not sure what he did. but the both have posi units.

Guest Chvyrkr

Well, you can always pull it the way it is, trusting the dif to hold up, but you don't really know anything about it...

I'm bettin the axles won't live for long though, even if they do live through one pull...

But I have a D44 in my 74 that has an unknown diff that has held, and D60 axles that somebody put in there, and they held for a long time before I broke one, so anythings possible...

Well, you can always pull it the way it is, trusting the dif to hold up, but you don't really know anything about it...

I'm bettin the axles won't live for long though, even if they do live through one pull...

But I have a D44 in my 74 that has an unknown diff that has held, and D60 axles that somebody put in there, and they held for a long time before I broke one, so anythings possible...

Well replacing the front diff isn't in my funds right now. Also I don't have a welder. What would you recommend doing to it to beef it up?

Guest Chvyrkr

Smaller all terrain tires, or prayer. Kinda the only options if you can't replace any hard parts.

i currently run a dana 44 up front. i have ran sts`s and ground hawgs.broke only 2 short side axles. all stock parts...going to a 60 front this winter. i would bet you would break rear axles in that 60 before you hurt the 44...just my opinion.

i currently run a dana 44 up front. i have ran sts`s and ground hawgs.broke only 2 short side axles. all stock parts...going to a 60 front this winter. i would bet you would break rear axles in that 60 before you hurt the 44...just my opinion.

Whats up mightyrat long time since you helped me lol. I was 1990cheyenne on truckpulls.com now the fact the truck is full time 4 wheel drive and since the hubs dont unlock is that a strong point?

When do you plan on hooking that thing we only have 2 more pulls this year. Have you pulled this year and i missed you? Ive been to all the cotpc events but maybe i wasnt paying attention? BTW this is the guy from just north of you with the 71 chevy from truckpulls.com

The 203 needs to be a 205, front needs a 60 and I would also put 35 spline outer axles as a minimum, rear needs to be an 80 or an AAM. This is all stuff I would budget for this winter if you're making any power at all. The name of the game is wheel speed, so the thornbirds would have to go also. A TREXUS or a BFG A/T is what most of us run. It is way cheaper to just go ahead and build it right in the begining insted of fixing it as it breaks. I'm speaking from experience. LOL If you go to 4LO.com, they have a good final drive calculator. Get your final drive somewhere in the low to mid 30's. Hope this info helps.

When do you plan on hooking that thing we only have 2 more pulls this year. Have you pulled this year and i missed you? Ive been to all the cotpc events but maybe i wasnt paying attention? BTW this is the guy from just north of you with the 71 chevy from truckpulls.com

Ya I remember you rusty you live in saint paris and didn't you go by my house on the way to beavercreek with your wife? And I haven't pulled this year because I want to make sure the truck is solid and good to go.

hey i guess it dont matter now what to use. i see your selling your truck on craig list. geesh i guess i will never see that thing on the pullin track now will i? I went by today on my way to the eye docs seen you still have it, why dont you list it in the for sale section on here someone might want it.

hey i guess it dont matter now what to use. i see your selling your truck on craig list. geesh i guess i will never see that thing on the pullin track now will i? I went by today on my way to the eye docs seen you still have it, why dont you list it in the for sale section on here someone might want it.

The reason it is for sale is last saturday I was in a car accident and I need the money for the deductable on my insurance. Now get this I was sitting at stop sign completly stopped. And a guy comes by and nails my truck totaling his and mine. And Ohio State Patrol cited me for failer to yield the stop sign. So that is why it is for sale because between the deductable, the court cost and the parts for my totaled to truck to get it back on the road with a salvage title is the reason its for sale.

post-169-076825500 1285300198_thumb.jpg

The 203 needs to be a 205, front needs a 60 and I would also put 35 spline outer axles as a minimum, rear needs to be an 80 or an AAM. This is all stuff I would budget for this winter if you're making any power at all. The name of the game is wheel speed, so the thornbirds would have to go also. A TREXUS or a BFG A/T is what most of us run. It is way cheaper to just go ahead and build it right in the begining insted of fixing it as it breaks. I'm speaking from experience. LOL If you go to 4LO.com, they have a good final drive calculator. Get your final drive somewhere in the low to mid 30's. Hope this info helps.

low to mid 30`s? are you running a 208? how do you get that low with an auto?

I am in the high 20's with an auto, th400 2.48 1st gear np205 1.96 low and 5.13 gears running 7400rpm. 24.94 final drive ratio. we are 29.1mph. I think ross is running 4.88 gears so that would give him more wheelspeed, i might try 4.88's next year to get more wheel speed myself. If i could hit 8000rpm with those it would be 33.1mph but my little small block might not have enough grunt to hold that wheelspeed but we will see.

i would not go any faster on the gearing...... those wheel speed numbers are only correct if the converter is truly locking up 100% and I guarntee it isnt.

I am in the high 20's with an auto, th400 2.48 1st gear np205 1.96 low and 5.13 gears running 7400rpm. 24.94 final drive ratio. we are 29.1mph. I think ross is running 4.88 gears so that would give him more wheelspeed, i might try 4.88's next year to get more wheel speed myself. If i could hit 8000rpm with those it would be 33.1mph but my little small block might not have enough grunt to hold that wheelspeed but we will see.

thats a healthy small block to turn that gear! wow... very impressive... what converter? i currently run 4.56`s and th400/205 and can only turn 6300 with my bbc. i run a cheap jegs xhd converter...

Those converters are actually pretty good they are made by trans specialties out of pennsilvania i am running one of their 3500-3700 stall works great but you need to keep your converter charge pressure up about 80psi and they lock hard. If your going to london tomorrow come see us were the old rusty 71 chevy i beleive the only small block out there. If you find us in the pits we will be grilling out come stop by and say hi.

Those converters are actually pretty good they are made by trans specialties out of pennsilvania i am running one of their 3500-3700 stall works great but you need to keep your converter charge pressure up about 80psi and they lock hard. If your going to london tomorrow come see us were the old rusty 71 chevy i beleive the only small block out there. If you find us in the pits we will be grilling out come stop by and say hi.

i would love to b.s. with you in person...and check out your rig,i wont be at london, but gonna try to make it to the gun club.what pump do you use to get the line pressure up? mine is stock. the whole trans. is stock other than the clutches.stock valve body with a shift kit.

well thanks mightyrat, i actually use a stock pump i modded a little its a tci spring that had 225psi so i had to take all shims out and sand down the ends to get 175-180 out of it. I drilled a 1/16th inch hole thru to the rear planetaries passage to give them full time oil feed since this sports pretty hard on them, this keeps them cooler. but if you do that you need to bush your convereter feed down or you will have way high pressure mine was seeing like 150psi before i bushed it i brought it down to 40 psi then on the return line for the cooler i put a hydraulic flow control valve in and a gage so i can crank it up or down ad needed kind of makes a variable stall that way but if you do this you need to check and make sure you always have a flow of at least a quart every 20 seconds thru the converter to keep it working and cooling. what stall xhd converter are you running? and what are you actually seeing it stall at?

well thanks mightyrat, i actually use a stock pump i modded a little its a tci spring that had 225psi so i had to take all shims out and sand down the ends to get 175-180 out of it. I drilled a 1/16th inch hole thru to the rear planetaries passage to give them full time oil feed since this sports pretty hard on them, this keeps them cooler. but if you do that you need to bush your convereter feed down or you will have way high pressure mine was seeing like 150psi before i bushed it i brought it down to 40 psi then on the return line for the cooler i put a hydraulic flow control valve in and a gage so i can crank it up or down ad needed kind of makes a variable stall that way but if you do this you need to check and make sure you always have a flow of at least a quart every 20 seconds thru the converter to keep it working and cooling. what stall xhd converter are you running? and what are you actually seeing it stall at?

its the biggest one , i think its rated at 3800-4200. i really havent paid a lot of attention to where its stalling.what do you charge to do trans. work? mine is stock other than clutches. stock valve body with a shift kit.stock cooler lines also. after you told me who made the converter, i called trans. specialties. they told me i could be getting up to 20% slip out of it. but had no advice. the tech i spoke to wasnt very helpful. i think i can buy tthomp`s old converter. its designed for truck pulling. going to 5.13`s this winter.